Insight – The Secret River
About the writer:
Anica Boulanger-Mashberg, BPA, BA (Hons), MA, has lectured and tutored in English at the University of Tasmania, where she recently completed her MA on Kate Grenville?s The Secret River and Searching for the Secret River. She is also a playwright, and has had several works of short fiction published.
Insight Text Guides take students into the deeper layers of meaning in a range of popular novels, plays, films, short-story collections and nonfiction texts. They are designed to develop detailed knowledge, in-depth understanding and genuine insight into each text.
The guides are written by practising English teachers, professional writers, reviewers and academics who are experts in their fields. Each guide presents a clear, comprehensive and accessible analysis.
There are over 150 titles in the Insight Text Guides series and new titles are published every year.
EACH TITLE FEATURES:
- An overview of the text for quick reference, including notes on the author’s life and work, a plot synopsis, a character map and brief character summaries
- Discussion of the historical, cultural and social contexts relevant to the text
- Close analysis of each chapter/scene/story, with chapter questions
- Detailed analysis of characters, themes and ideas
- Discussion of different responses to and interpretations of the text
- Guidelines on successful essay writing
- Essay topics, a sample analysis of a topic and a sample essay on the text.